Lewis S. Hunte, QC
Lewis S. Hunte, QC, is Head of Chambers and the founding partner of Hunte & Co. Law Chambers. Mr. Hunte is also the founding principal of the firm’s affiliate, Hunte & Co. Services Limited. His current work focuses on litigation, succession law, labour law and intellectual property law.
Mr. Hunte brings an extraordinary career in public service throughout the British Caribbean to the firm. In addition to serving as Attorney General of the British Virgin Islands (1982–1985), he served a Magistrate in Barbados and as Deputy Chief Parliamentary Counsel, a position he held for seven years. Earlier in his career, he served as Deputy Registrar of the Court of Appeal in Jamaica, served as Deputy Registrar of the Supreme Court of Barbados, and completed a one-year attachment within the Federal Department of Justice in Ottawa, Canada.
Among his other contributions to the legal field, Mr. Hunte drafted the 1982 Intellectual Property Legislation of Barbados and the Model Insurance Legislation of the Caribbean Law Institute. Most notably, he was the draftsman of the 1984 International Business Companies Act of the Virgin Islands. The first piece of legislation of its kind, the IBC Act has served as a blueprint for statutes adopted in many offshore jurisdictions and was the forerunner of the 2004 BVI Business Companies Act.
Known for his passion, patience, and candor in his service to the public, Mr. Hunte brings this same combination of qualities to the private practice of law. He is committed to treating all clients with prompt and personal attention, as well as to handling their matters with the utmost skill and thorough preparation.
Mr. Hunte was honored by appointment as one of Her Majesty's Counsel for the BVI in 2003. He is also a member of the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn. In the past, he has been called upon to act as Judge of the High Court of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court.
A native of Barbados, Mr. Hunte has lived in the BVI since 1982. He is a strong supporter of community charities and civic organizations and is an active member of his church.
- Intellectual Property
- Commercial and Civil Litigation
- Local Business and Policy
- Wills, Probate and Succession
- Labour and Employment
- Shipping and Maritime
- Honourable Society of Gray's Inn, London
- Anguilla, 2004
- British Virgin Islands, 1985
- Barbados, 1967
- England and Wales (inactive), 1965
- Memoirs of a Caribbean Lawyer: The Autobiography of Lewis Stephenson Hunte, QC (2018)
- Status Report on the Intellectual Property Laws of the Commonwealth Caribbean (1982)
- Industrial Property Laws of Barbados (WIPO, 1981)
- An Elucidation of the Intellectual Property Laws of Barbados
- Rotary Club of Tortola: Past President, Member
- BVI Red Cross: Board Chairman (2013 – 2017), Member